November 1-7 is Polar Bear Week. Please join me in raising awareness and funds for the polar bear! 25% of the proceeds from the sale of polar bear holiday cards, postcards, stickers, and stamps in this collection go to Polar Bears International.
This month's/animal's guest artist is Ellen Hall who resides in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. Her specialities include line art, pointillism, hand-poke tattoos, and screen-printed apparel. Please check out her artwork!
7 polar bear fun facts:
1. The world’s largest species of bear is the polar bear. Over 2.5m (8.2 ft) long and weigh around 680kg (1500 lbs)!
2. The scientific name for the polar bear is Ursusmaritimus, which means ‘Sea Bear’ in Latin.
3. Polar bears are found in the Arctic, Canada, Alaska (USA), Greenland, Russia, and Norway. An estimated two thirds of them live in Canada.
4. Polar bears have black skin and transparent fur, not white.
5. Polar bears purr when content. They can also roar and hiss.
6. 3M, the company that makes Post-It Notes, and Polar Bears International are trying to invent a tracker that will adhere to polar bear fur and withstand freezing temperatures, salt water, and snow.
7. In order to hunt seals, their primary source of food, polar bears need sea ice which is in decline due to global warming. Hence, polar bears serve as an indicator species, a species that indicates the health of the environment.